St John’s Episcopal Church Celebrates 125 Years of Ministry in Franklin
Join us on Sunday, September 11th at 10 a.m. for a historical Worship Service (in the style of 1897). You’re even invited to wear period costumes! This will be followed by a festive picnic, viewing of historical artifacts, learning about our connections to the native peoples of the area and the Armenian community in Franklin, creation of a timeline, a kids’ scavenger hunt, and mystery photos.
Our community began during the ‘Third Awakening’ of Christianity which followed the Civil War. A series of revival meetings held in Franklin by traveling missionaries from the U.S. Army Church during the summer of 1897 inspired a community of local Episcopalians to establish the “St. John’s Mission.” Meetings were held in the Baptist Meeting House until 1910, when enough funds were raised to build their own church on School Street. By the 1950s, the church outgrew the School Street sanctuary, which was sold to Dean College. The mission community formally joined the Episcopal Diocese as a parish in 1961. In 1966, the construction of the present church and parish hall down at 237 Pleasant St. was completed and celebrated.
Also, St. John’s 3rd Annual Pumpkin and Gourd Sale will run the entire month of October, from Sunday, October 2nd through the 30th.